A Brief History of this Ward
The Heneage Land in what was then Clee Lay to the South of Grant-Thorald’s and was mainly in the area known as Weelsby. In 1870 Heneage invited tenders for the construction of bridges over ther East Marsh drain, including one at Hainton Square. These helped open up his Wheelsby estate for building.
Heneage land was turned over for building, while allowing potential building areas to become temporary paddocks and gardens. These paddocks ranged between 2 and 6 acres and were used for grazing horses and other livestock. From 1868-1872 Heneage raised £26,682 by selling 30 acres of land along Bargate and Abbey Road. This helped to set out roads and drainage before house building could begin. A high level of house construction was maintained in Weelsby during the 1870s and 1880s, helped from 1881, by a new horse drawn tramway that ran down Hainton Street as far as Tasburgh Street, then making the southern limit of this built up area.
Heneage limited the sale of liquor on his estate, and 1895 showed no public houses and just 2 beer retailers, in Victor Street. He created different types of houses for different types of workers. Consequently, parts of Hainton Street and Heneage Street (later Road) had semi and semi-detached homes for employers and professional people, while Willingham Street had smaller properties aimed at ordinary workers. The distinction was achieved by allowed different rental levels.
Historian Alan Dowling notes that by Victorian standards, most of his tenants lived in pleasant surroundings. Indeed in 1885 residents of Hainton Street raised a public subscription to plant trees there. Earlier, an MP since 1880, offered the council 27 acres for a park. This became People’s Park, opened in 1883.
Public buildings included two Primitive Methodist chapels, the Ebenezer (1871) and Hainton Street (1874), the Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary (1883); also Heneage School in Edward Street (1885) and Holme Hill School (1874-later a teachers training centre).
Further building occurred in the 1890’s on the Heneage and Grant-Thorald estates. To the east of the railway (now Peakes Parkway) houses were constructed down Hainton Avenue, Heneage Road, Convamore Road and side streets. West of the railway building took place on Wintringham Road, Patrick Street, Welholme Road, Legsby Avenue and Farebrother Street. Further housing was added north of People’s Park, while in 1899 the council bought land from Lord Heneage for what is now Ainslie Street Recreation Ground.
New streets on Grant-Thorald land such as Ladysmith Road, Buller Street and Roberts Street saw their names reflecting the Boer War (1899-1902). Grant-Thorald gave 9 acres for a public place: Grant-Thorald Park opened in 1904. By this time the park had seen All Saints’ Church in Heneage Road (1891), the Congregational Mission Church in Granville Street (1895), the Welholme Road Primitive Methodist Chapel (1897), the James Meadows School in Wheelsby Street (1890), the Welholme Rd School East (1892) and the Winteringham Higher Grade School in Eleanor Street (1895).
By 1905 Hainton Avenue and Heneage Road were built up as far as Algernon Street. Land between there and Weelsby Road were sold to trawler owner Sir George Slight, with roads there being na,es after company trawlers, e.g. Reporto Avenue. Heneage land in and around Wellow was also developed including more building in Farebrother Street and Legsby Avenue.
Public buildings added included the Education Office in Eleanor Street (1900), a replacement All Saint’s Church (1906), Welholme Congregational Church (1908-incorporating the Granville Street Mission and later to become Welholme Galleries). St. Luke’s in Heneage Road (1912) and St. Augustine’s Church (1911). The council bought the tram system in 1925 and 1926 saw replacement electric trolley-buses down Hainton Avenue. Motor buses replaced them in 1960. St. Columba’s Presbyterian opened along Weelsby Road in 1932: it is now the United Reformed Church.
Bombs in Heneage Road during the Second World War destroyed the Methodist Chapel, which was replaced by a new church that opened on the corner of Convamore Road and Welholme Road after a compensation award was agreed in 1958. All Saint’s Church was also hit, re-opening in 1956 after restoration work costing £13,000. St. Luke’s Church was closed in 1969.
Courtesy of Tim Mickleburgh